The American Public Works Association promotes professional excellence, understanding of, and competency and credibility in public works.Vision Statement
The American Public Works Association is the recognized leader in public works education, advocacy and building better communities.Statement of Values
APWA is a dynamic professional association where high quality products and services are delivered to members and partners by a deeply committed, collaborative and knowledgeable team. Above all, we are dedicated to sustaining the essential cornerstones of communication, collaboration, understanding, and trust as the central foundation for our work with each other, our members, and our strategic partners.Key Strategic Initiatives
- Develop a formal, comprehensive blueprint for Public Works certifications by continuing current efforts.
- Conduct comprehensive market research to determine the APWA "market position", including membership structure and what attracts members (what professionals want/need), the image APWA projects, how decisionmakers
- are influenced, and where public works fits in the public's mind.
- Hold an education summit to assess the educational efforts being made at the National Office and in each Chapter to determine available programs, gaps in
- professional development, and needed programs. Also consider assessing what other organizations are doing and where collaboration opportunities exist.
- Explore the potential of acquisition of, or collaboration with, other associations to enhance member value, share programs, devise public policy, etc. Analyze other meeting and conference types to find ways to collaborate and partner with other organizations.
- Create a series of awareness programs in various specific areas - promote outreach and public awareness to build identity, public awareness/support, broaden global perspective, and attract new members and affiliates. Explore a broader awareness and branding campaign for the APWA and for public works, generally.
- Create leadership think tanks to address major issues and consider various remedies/approaches. Utilize membership talent more by convening people to address/explore significant subjects.